YIKES! I am going to need some help

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Sun Sep 11 22:40:31 UTC 2016

On 09/11/16 16:46, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 10:41:45AM -0400, Baho Utot wrote:
>> I want to rebuild all my home computers now based upon FreeBSD 10.x.
>>
>> I would like to use version 11.0 Stable or Release.
> Well, now, which is it? If you go the Release route then you don't need
> to rebuild world or kernel.

I am waiting for 11.x to come off RCs, then I will choose.  If it
doesn't do that soon ( been waiting 4 months now), then I will go STABLE
and use crochet to build for Raspberry pi.
I want to update this desktop first in case I make a mess of it.

Just don't know how the move ZFS Raid-Z will turn out.

> Also, if you use packages then you don't need /usr/ports, and you don't
> need to worry about building things. Just install them.  It may be that
> building from ports is the right thing for you, but you haven't mentioned
> any reasons for going that route yet.

I want to build the whole thing lock stock and barrel, ports too. Put
the repository on a network and update all machines from there.
Want to use synth or pouderier (sp?)

> That right there are two simplifications you can make to your setup.
>
> I suggest starting simple. Make things more complicated only when you
> require it.

I am a glutton for punishment,  What can I say.

>>       Can I use clang and LLVM?  Ditching ld?
> On the i386 and amd64 architectures clang+llvm has already replaced
> gcc. So nothing to do there.

Yes I was following that part

>   As for the llvm.org version of ld, I
> believe that isn't quite as far along. Is there a specific reason why
> you need to change which ld is used?

I would like to goto llvm ld so I don't have to do this again.

I am rebuilding my entire network and want to have all the machines
using the same base and ports.

I will have two raspberrypi that handle DNS, NTP, NNTP and email ( full
email server exim and dovcot2 plus fetchmail )

Right now this is on an old Dell lapdog using jails

I have a third raspberrypi 3 that I will try to run ningx (sp?), when
FreeBSD goes pi 3.

Thanks