40 cores, 48 NVMe disks, feel free to take over

Dennis Glatting freebsd at pki2.com
Fri Sep 9 21:15:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-09-09 at 22:51 +0200, Christoph Pilka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we've just been granted a short-term loan of a server from Supermicro
> with 40 physical cores (plus HTT) and 48 NVMe drives. After a bit of
> mucking about, we managed to get 11-RC running. A couple of things
> are preventing the system from being terribly useful:
>
> - We have to use hw.nvme.force_intx=1 for the server to boot
> If we don't, it panics around the 9th NVMe drive with "panic:
> couldn't find an APIC vector for IRQ...". Increasing
> hw.nvme.min_cpus_per_ioq brings it further, but it still panics later
> in the NVMe enumeration/init. hw.nvme.per_cpu_io_queues=0 causes it
> to panic later (I suspect during ixl init - the box has 4x10gb
> ethernet ports).
>
> - zfskern seems to be the limiting factor when doing ~40 parallel "dd
> if=/dev/zer of=<file> bs=1m" on a zpool stripe of all 48 drives. Each
> drive shows ~30% utilization (gstat), I can do ~14GB/sec write and 16
> read.
>
> - direct writing to the NVMe devices (dd from /dev/zero) gives about
> 550MB/sec and ~91% utilization per device
>
> Obviously, the first item is the most troublesome. The rest is based
> on entirely synthetic testing and may have little or no actual impact
> on the server's usability or fitness for our purposes.
>
> There is nothing but sshd running on the server, and if anyone wants
> to play around you'll have IPMI access (remote kvm, virtual media,
> power) and root.
>
> Any takers?

I'm curious to know what board you have. I have had FreeBSD, including
release 11 candidates, running on SM boards without any trouble
although some of them are older boards. I haven't looked at ZFS
performance because mine are typically low disk use. That said, my
virtual server (also a SM) IOPs suck but so do its disks.

I recently found the Intel RAID chip on one SM isn't real RAID, rather
it's pseudo RAID but for a few dollars more it could be real RAID. :(
It was killing IOPs so I popped in an old LSI board, routed the cables
from the Intel chip, and the server is now a happy camper. I then
replaced 11-RC with Ubuntu 16.10 due to a specific application but I am
also running RAIDz2 under Ubuntu on three trash 2.5T disks (I didn't do
this for any reason other than fun).

root at Tuck3r:/opt/bin# zpool status
  pool: opt
 state: ONLINE