return from DST did not worked

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 31 01:02:24 UTC 2016

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 22:20:01 +0100
Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We in Europe returned this night from DST CEST. In the night, when my
> system FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT r292778 (amd64)
> was down, all the clocks were set back from 03:00 (CEST) to 02:00
> (CET). When I booted my system the date(1) command was showing
> correctly string 'CET' but the wrong hour, still the one hour ahead,
> until I run ntpdate(8),

Do you keep your bios/cmos clock set to local time? The installer
creates a file /etc/wall_cmos_clock as a flag if you set it up this way.

The normal setup is to keep the bios clock on UTC, and then FreeBSD
works out the local time - including DST. But if you run on local time
I don't think FreeBSD handles DST in the cmos clock because that mode
is intended for dual-booting.