LAME Package Question

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 02:13:35 UTC 2016

Polytropon writes:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 16:46:24 -0700, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Brandon J. Wandersee <
>> brandon.wandersee at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Those are both MP2 encoders, while LAME is an MP3 encoder.
>> >
>> [...]
>> I can not say anything about why MP3 is needed , but considering the
>> following page may deduce that there are free and usable licensed
>> alternatives ( some intermediary steps may be used : for example  : Convert
>> MP3 to WAV , Play WAV ) ( Please consider other links in that page ) :
>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_for_audio
>> ( Comparison of free software for audio )
>
> The "lame" _encoder_ is utilized by many other programs. Its
> absence might cause problems for example for the following
> construct: youtube-dl -> ffmpeg -> lame. So if there is a
> way to switch from "lame" to a different encoder which can
> be installed via "pkg install", the installing & updating
> problem could be solved.

Also, LAME is itself open-source and is widely considered *the* standard
MP3 audio encoder, while MP3 is widely considered *the* standard digital
audio format. Yes, there are other audio formats, but whether those
other formats are in fact feasible alternatives for the OP is a
different question to which we can't assume an answer.

As a side note, transcoding MP3 to WAV---or any other lossy format to
any other loss-less format---isn't really a good idea.

--
::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'