LAME Package Question

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Oct 30 00:09:45 UTC 2016

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 16:46:24 -0700, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Brandon J. Wandersee <
> brandon.wandersee at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Polytropon writes:
> >
> > > There might be alternatives: "toolame" and "twolame" are present
> > > in the ports collection. They probably have packages available.
> > > Maybe you can use one of them to replace "lame"?
> >
> > Those are both MP2 encoders, while LAME is an MP3 encoder.
> >
> [...]
> I can not say anything about why MP3 is needed , but considering the
> following page may deduce that there are free and usable licensed
> alternatives ( some intermediary steps may be used : for example  : Convert
> MP3 to WAV , Play WAV ) ( Please consider other links in that page ) :
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_for_audio
> ( Comparison of free software for audio )

The "lame" _encoder_ is utilized by many other programs. Its
absence might cause problems for example for the following
construct: youtube-dl -> ffmpeg -> lame. So if there is a
way to switch from "lame" to a different encoder which can
be installed via "pkg install", the installing & updating
problem could be solved.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany