ufs to zfs

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 08:21:09 UTC 2016

Personally, i would insert a usb stick or other new drive. Partition it up
with gpt layout, create the pool, install the boot blocks, then rsync the
system onto the zfs filesystems. Whilst doing this i would also make sure
the new layout is boot environment compatible. One this is done you could
test booting off the new drive, either with the machine its on, or another
one in a clean network environment. When you are happy with it, boot off it
in the production machine into single user mode, reinitialise the original
boot drive. Create the gpt layout you want on the old drive, then add the
zfs partition to the pool on the external drive so its a mirror. Finish up
sorting out the boot blocks and then split the mirror. You should now have
a zfs based system