enabling remote X clients (was: test of encryption)

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Sun Oct 23 22:26:18 UTC 2016

On 10/23/16 04:11, maxnix wrote:
> Il giorno Fri, 21 Oct 2016 21:15:53 -0600
> Gary Aitken <freebsd at dreamchaser.org> ha scritto:

>> On 10/21/16 21:14, Gary Aitken wrote:
>>> In the process of installing 10.3 on former 9.2 system w/ /usr/home
>>> on a separate disk & unchanged.
>>>
>>> Having done "xhost +",
>>> I still can't spawn an xterm from a remote machine on the local net:
>>>
>>> Xt error: Can't open display: aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:0.0
>>>
>>> Remote account has no .Xauthority;
>>> local account from which X started does.
>>>
>>> "This used to work"...
>>> Scratching all body parts, still coming up short.
>>>
>>> Hints?

> Some time ago X switched to
>
> -nolisten tcp
>
> by default. To allow remote connections start your X server with
>
> -listen tcp
>
> Xserver(1) and Xorg(1) can also be useful resources.

Thanks.
That helps but I'm now getting really strange results.
I've searched high and low and can't find an example that does what I want;
most are older and show how to disable tcp, not enable it with good results.

.xserverrc:
  /usr/local/bin/X :0 -listen tcp
or
  /usr/local/bin/X :0 -listen local -listen tcp

1. When using either of the above, the server and apps take a lot longer to
   start and settle down to the initial display.
2. My startx starts up a clock, xfwm4, and 5 xterms; the last xterm is the
   controlling terminal.
   When exiting the controlling xterm, I'm left with a set of xterms instead of
   returning to a normal system prompt without X.  It's as if the server used
   two screens, one behind the other.  Exiting the controlling terminal again
   (the one left on the display after the first exit) leaves the display in a
   mode where I can't see anything, and I have to power off and restart.

What I want it to do is start up normally using the standard unix sockets,
but allow logins over tcp.  Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but the docs
aren't very clear as I read them.