Is it time to retire the scanner ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Oct 23 15:28:06 UTC 2016

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 09:51:00 -0500 (CDT), Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Sun, October 23, 2016 8:58 am, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 13:53:34 +0200
> > Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> >
> >> On FreeBSD, getting that printer to work in CUPS requires no big
> >> efforts, you don't even need the PPD file. You even don't _need_
> >> to use CUPS as you can print PS directly to the printer - no
> >> driver needed, only a printer spooler. And this hasn't changed
> >> in 10 years...
> > 	`
> > 	Probably not in the previous 10 years too (well it's almost 2017
> > and the LJ4000 came out in 1997), I know for sure that you could spool PS
> > to a Laserjet 4 with lpr/lpd under FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 because I did just
> > that.
>
> And to add to that, HP keeps making supplies for their this old printers.
> We do have HP LaserJet 4050 in our Department which was purchased around
> 2001 or 2002. Still works, HP still makes toners. Kudos HP!

Even "worse": The toner cartridges are quite cheap. People usually
think I'm lying when I tell them my home printing costs are 30 Euro
every 3 years (this is 10 Euro per year, less than 1 Euro per month).
Try to beat _that_ with typical consumer ink cartridge costs... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany