Is it time to retire the scanner ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Oct 22 20:48:04 UTC 2016

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 20:13:33 +0000, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 10:09:01 -0700, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk stated:
>
> > For that try to buy single purpose devices : printer , scanner ,
> > etc. , not in combination .
>
> Logistically, that can become a nightmare. If you are employing cables,
> then that doubles, or triples or more the number of cables you need.
> Also, you need to increase the space needed to accommodate these
> multiple devices.

Devices supporting network connections make things much
easier, be it Ethernet or WLAN. As soon as you don't have
to rely on USB, that's one big "black box" less.

Of course the "all in one" mentality fails as soon as you
want to upgrade a "component" which typically ends in
buying a whole new device, discarding all "components"
and increasing your "garbage footprint".

> I have a printer/scanner/FAX/copier all in one and love the fact that I
> don't have devices all over my office.

It's useful as soon as _one_ part breaks. Out of ink?
You now cannot scan anymore. Paper jam? No sending a fax.
New "Windows" version? Sorry, no driver for you. Go away
and buy something new. ;-)

> The problem here is that you are being forced to "dumb down" your
> system to accommodate FreeBSD's inability to support multi-function
> devices. That is like enabling a drunk. I refuse to follow that path.

Depends. If you are lucky to buy the "right" hardware,
you get excellent results. For example, the Deskjet F380
works flawlessly on FreeBSD (both printer and scanner),
and it's super easy to setup via CUPS.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany