Is it time to retire the scanner ?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 22 14:48:53 UTC 2016

On 10/22/16 19:48, Warren Block wrote:
> It's unlikely.  ata0 would be related IDE hardware, probably a hard
> drive.  Given that, this is likely a pretty old motherboard.

All of my hardware is max 2 months old - board, disk, RAM, DVD drive,
cabinet, PSU. The motherboard is a brand new Gigabyte SB970 based, and
the disk a 2 month old Samsung EVO 850 SSD. The CPU is relatively old -
something like 3 years old - Athlon X2 270 Regor.

Further proof for your inclination that the error is not related to
scanner : occasionally (but not always) when I boot up, I see this on
the console - with the scanner still powered off :

(ada0:ata0:0:1:0): READ_DMA48. ACB: 25 00 df ea ff 40 33 00 00 00 01 00
(ada0:ata0:0:1:0): CAM status: Command timeout
(ada0:ata0:0:1:0): Retrying command

I have no idea what the above means, but it does suggest to me that the
scanner cannot be blamed if it is still powered off.

The newest things in the system are the PSU, cabinet, RAM, and DVD drive
- all swapped just yesterday. Could the DVD drive be the source ?

Returning to the scanner, I have been running 'scanimage -L' as root.
Between 0 and 4 times in succession, the command reports normal output :

<output>
/root <<: scanimage -L
device `pixma:04A9176C_43130B' is a CANON Canon PIXMA MG2400 Series
multi-function peripheral
</output

And then suddenly, it goes dead
/root <<: scanimage -L
#does not return now

> If the scanner works on XP, the hardware is fine.  This is more likely a
> problem with USB and multifunction devices on FreeBSD.  It could be
> solvable.

Thanks for lending me hope. I am really struggling - just invested
something like USD 600 on a total system upgrade to make this superslick
machine. But it's all turning to ashes if the hardware starts going
bonkers already.

Would you suggest I wait a while for some further proof to accumulate;
or I should try making a fresh install of FreeBSD 10.2/11 (my current
system 10.3).

Unrelated to this, there is a bug in 10.3 amd64 install - most of the
times I have set up 10.3, the installer forgets to put the boot code in
the MBR. So immediately after install, I have to run a live shell and
run boot0cfg to get the boot code there.

Thanks again
Manish Jain