Is it time to retire the scanner ?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 22 12:39:53 UTC 2016

On 10/22/16 16:03, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:45 PM, Manish Jain
> <bourne.identity at hotmail.com <mailto:bourne.identity at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Hi,
>
>     My Canon MG 2470 Pixma Multi Function Device (USB) serving purely as a
>     scanner has stopped working under FreeBSD (it works under Windows XP
>     still though).
>
>     'scanimage -L' gets stuck. The following diagnostics are available at
>     the console :
>
>     ulpt0: <Canon MG2400 series, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.03, addr 7> on usbus7
>     ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
>     ata0: FAILURE - odd-sized DMA transfer attempt 5 % 2
>     ata0: setting up DMA failed
>
>     I can't be sure whether the ata0 error above is related to the Canon
>     scanner, but it does look like that.
>
>     Would it suggest that the scanner hardware has started failing ? I have
>     tried disconnecting the scanner from the USB hub and connecting it
>     directly to a USB port at the mainboard, but even that does not help.
>
>     Thanks for any help.
>     Manish Jain
>

> I can not say you should retire your scanner , but I have wanted to
> share the following experience :
>

> I have computer from 2004 . It was for Windows XP . I have started to
> use it as a FreeBSD server client . It started to corrupt the accessed
> files . I have changed memories , without help .
> I have installed a Linux to use it . It did not work either . Locally in
> Windows XP it is still working .
>

> Possible reasons :
>
> Linux parts are accessing some parts which Windows XP is not using :
> These parts may be in fault .
> As client to FreeBSD or Linux server , a similar state is occurring .
>

> My opinion  is that if your scanner is working under Windows XP ,
> continue to use it in that way .
> If you need to use a scanner in FreeBSD , review SANE(/Scanner/ Access
> Now Easy) documentation and select a suitable scanner to buy and use it .
>
> ( You may search in Google the phrase : scanner in FreeBSD )
>

> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

Hi Mehmet,

That's only fair - can' say yet the scanner is functioning incorrectly
if it keeps working under XP. So my decision to retain XP as a secondary
OS was not a bad one.

But ideally I would like everything working under FreeBSD natively - I
do not want my hardware to be dependent on Redmond at all.

Thanks for your reply.
MJ