11.0 disable fortune freebsd-tips

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 01:03:52 UTC 2016

Alphons van Werven wrote:
> Ernie Luzar wrote:
>
>> In 11.0 user logins now get freebsd-tips.
>
> Maybe I've missed something, but that doesn't sound new to me at all. The
> fortune cookies have been in the default user environment for pretty much
> as long as I can remember.
>
>> Is there a simple way to disable this feature?
>
> If nothing spectacularly new happened (i.e. if in this matter FreeBSD 11
> is no different than earlier versions), one can disable the fortune
> cookies in any of the following ways.
>
> a) Remove the user's ~/.login and/or ~/.profile files if there's nothing
> else of note in there.
>
> b) Modify the user's ~/.login and/or ~/.profile files and comment out the
> fortune line.
>
> c) Remove and/or rename the /usr/games/fortune binary.
>
> d) Don't install fortune(6) in the first place.
>
> e) When adding users, do not copy the default environment into the user's
> home directory.
>
> f) Modify the default environment for new users. It's in /usr/share/skel.
> Remove or modify the files dot.login and/or dot.profile in there (see
> options a and/or b).
>
> Please note:
>  * options a and b affect existing individual users;
>  * options c and d affect all users;
>  * options e and f affect newly created users.
>
> HTH,
>
> Fonz

Thanks for the info. option d) tickled my memory. bsdinstall in 11.0 has
new option for enabling "fortune" by default. During install from
cdrom.iso I just hit enter to take all defaults without reading the
comments. My mistake. Now that 11.0 is installed and customized for my
environment I have chosen to do c) as simple hake to disable it.