pw add user slow

Paul Macdonald paul at ifdnrg.com
Mon Oct 17 23:01:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have to migrate an imap server, which uses about 6000 local accounts
for mail delivery

I'm using a script that creates system acounts using:

/usr/sbin/pw adduser $LOCAL_USER -u$UID-gGID-d $PATH -s/bin/false

I'm finding this grows ever more slow, up to 10 seconds per account on a
SATA box  , and on a test SSD box ( 20 acc's per second initially) even
that slows to about 1 account created per second.

why does this slow down as more accounts are added?

thanks

--
-------------------------
Paul Macdonald
e: paul at ifdnrg.com
w: http://www.ifdnrg.com
IFDNRG
40 Maritime Street
Edinburgh
EH6 6SA

Virtual Servers from £50.00pm
High specification Dedicated Servers from £150.00pm