A request for cp flag

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 17 14:50:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am using FreeBSD 10.3 amd64 with bash as the login shell.

I occasionally face a problem while copying contents with cp. The -R
flag of cp takes the source name as this : If the source_file ends in a
/, the contents of the directory are copied rather than the directory
itself.

Now, I am pretty sure, there must be good reasons for cp to behave in
that manner by default. But it also creates significant opportunities
for things to go wrong the way shell completion of directory names works.

Could it considered a valid request that an extra flag (perhaps -r) be
implemented that does the reverse : copy out src rather than src/* ?

Thanks
Manish Jain