FreeBSD VBox Guest does not run X11 at 1440x900

Malcolm Matalka mmatalka at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 14:14:16 UTC 2016

Trond Endrestøl <Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no> writes:

> On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 13:37-0000, Malcolm Matalka wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running FreeBSD as a virtualbox guest on a OS X.  My Mac is set to
>> resolution 1440x900 and my X11 config in the VM is set to this as well.
>> After running freebsd-update fetch and install and upgrading all my
>> packages I cannot seem to run X in VBox at that resolution.  If I bring
>> my Mac to 1680x1050, I can run that (but it's not super enjoyable due to
>> some poor redraw latency).  And I can run at 1080x1024.  I tried
>> 1400x1050, which did not work as well.
>>
>> What happens when I try to run at 1440x900 is that the screen is only
>> roughly the size of the console window.  It is running X, I can do all
>> my stuff but the screen is small.  xrandr claims it is running at
>> 1440x900.
>>
>> Has anyone seen this?  I feel like the resolution might be a red herring
>> but I have no way to determine this.
>
> Have you enabled EFI firmware for your VBox guest?
> If you have, you're out of luck as there is currently no KMS driver
> for VBox.
>
> If you're running the guest with BIOS firmware, you might need to
> craft your own /etc/x11/xorg.conf file.
>
> Here's my xorg.conf file for use on a 1280x1024 display, with mouse
> support and Norwegian keyboard layout:
>
> http://ximalas.info/~trond/create-zfs/canmount/xorg.conf
>
> You'll need to add 1440x900 to the graphics resolution lists, and
> edit, or remove, or deactivate the InputClass and InputDevice for
> keyboards.

So I've managed to be able to get into 1440x900 mode by hand by running

xrandr --output VGA0 --mode 1440x900

However the screen occasionally does a really vicious redraw where it
flickers to gray as it redraws, it's pretty distracting.

I've created a gist of the xorg log output, perhaps someone can see
something here?

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/8cf62447619f1ed2d55a0384271fa1e5