Call-out ports renamed cuadX -> cuauX -- when?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Oct 10 22:52:59 UTC 2016

Addition:

On my FreeBSD 8 home system, "man 4 sio" contains the following
convention in the FILES section:

     /dev/ttyd?       for callin ports
     /dev/ttyd?.init
     /dev/ttyd?.lock  corresponding callin initial-state and lock-state
                      devices

     /dev/cuad?       for callout ports
     /dev/cuad?.init
     /dev/cuad?.lock  corresponding callout initial-state and lock-state
                      devices

     /etc/rc.d/serial  examples of setting the initial-state and lock-state
                       devices

The same text is in the 10.3 manpage.

But as I said, those do not seem to (automatically?) exist:

crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0,  49 2016-10-10 23:49:07 /dev/cuau0
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0,  50 2016-10-10 23:49:07 /dev/cuau0.init
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer    0,  51 2016-10-10 23:49:07 /dev/cuau0.lock

and:

crw-------  1 root  wheel     0,  46 2016-10-10 23:49:07 /dev/ttyu0
crw-------  1 root  wheel     0,  47 2016-10-10 23:49:07 /dev/ttyu0.init
crw-------  1 root  wheel     0,  48 2016-10-10 23:49:07 /dev/ttyu0.lock

So the naming change mentioned in The FreeBSD Handbook, section
25.2.1. Serial Cables and Ports:

	Call-out ports are named /dev/cuauN on FreeBSD versions 10.x
	and higher and /dev/cuadN on FreeBSD versions 9.x and lower.

doesn't seem to apply, even though the manpages state something
different.

I then checked on a FreeBSD 5 system, and guess what I found? Some
ttyd files, but no cuad files (but cuaa files, as expected):

The version 5.4 "man 4 sio" FILES section states:

     /dev/ttyd?   for callin ports
     /dev/ttyid?
     /dev/ttyld?  corresponding callin initial-state and lock-state devices

     /dev/cuaa?   for callout ports
     /dev/cuaia?
     /dev/cuala?  corresponding callout initial-state and lock-state devices

And the corresponding files (two serial ports on that machine):

crw-rw----  1 uucp   dialer  239, 128 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/cuaa0
crw-rw----  1 uucp   dialer  239, 129 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/cuaa1
crw-rw----  1 uucp   dialer  238, 160 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/cuaia0
crw-rw----  1 uucp   dialer  238, 161 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/cuaia1
crw-rw----  1 uucp   dialer  238, 192 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/cuala0
crw-rw----  1 uucp   dialer  238, 193 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/cuala1

crw-------  1 root    wheel  239,   0 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/ttyd0
crw-------  1 root    wheel  239,   1 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/ttyd1
crw-------  1 root    wheel  238,  32 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/ttyid0
crw-------  1 root    wheel  238,  33 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/ttyid1
crw-------  1 root    wheel  238,  64 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/ttyld0
crw-------  1 root    wheel  238,  65 10 Okt 23:29 /dev/ttyld1

There must be an interesting reason for that. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany