Forgot to rebuild third-party software. Now what?

Tom Limoncelli tal at whatexit.org
Mon Oct 10 19:47:46 UTC 2016

I've upgraded my system from 10.3 to 11.0-RELEASE and I forgot to rebuild
third-party software.  Now various shared libraries don't exist.

Longer version...

I was following the usual steps:

       # : > /usr/bin/bspatch
       # freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.0-RELEASE
       # freebsd-update install
       <reboot the system>
       # freebsd-update install
       <rebuild third-party software>      <<<< Didn't do this part.
       # freebsd-update install

The steps looked like this:

root at exit148:~ # /usr/sbin/freebsd-update install
src component not installed, skipped
Installing updates...
Completing this upgrade requires removing old shared object files.
Please rebuild all installed 3rd party software (e.g., programs
installed from the ports tree) and then run "/usr/sbin/freebsd-update
install"
again to finish installing updates.
root at exit148:~ # /usr/sbin/freebsd-update install
src component not installed, skipped
Installing updates... done.
root at exit148:~ # /usr/sbin/freebsd-update install
src component not installed, skipped
No updates are available to install.
Run '/usr/sbin/freebsd-update fetch' first.

Now I can't run pkg:

$ sudo pkg upgrade
sudo: error in /usr/local/etc/sudo.conf, line 0 while loading plugin
`sudoers_policy'
sudo: unable to load /usr/local/libexec/sudo/sudoers.so: Shared object
"libpam.so.5" not found, required by "sudoers.so"
sudo: fatal error, unable to load plugins

Oops!  I just realized that sudo is a third-party software package.  If I
become root some other way:

# pkg upgrade
Shared object "libssl.so.7" not found, required by "pkg"

Interestingly enough, Apache HTTPd is running and my website is up.

Suggestions on how to get out of this corner?  I'm pretty stuck.  I'm not
even sure if I should reboot.

(I do have backups... but given the state of the system, I'd probably have
to restore to a new machine).

Thanks!
Tom

--