Hi, a dual booting and printing question

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 9 15:08:32 UTC 2016

On 10/09/16 19:33, Olaoluwa Omokanwaiye wrote:
 > I am wondering what the best desktop is that I can use on my FreeBSD
 > 10.3 that will not freeze and that will allow me to switch between
 > terminals.

I wish it were known which is the best desktop for you  : -)
But I will give you a few choices to try.

For a long time, I used gnome3 which is pretty good

(once you disable HotSpot via a web-based plugin available at

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/118/no-topleft-hot-corner

and then use the native Tweak Tool to turn on the Applications Menu and
the Window List).

But I myself now prefer KDE4. KDE needs a little bit of time
configuring, but is super-slick and super-functional.

I would suggest at least 4 GB RAM for Gnome/KDE. Both Gnome and KDE
support multiple virtual desktops. While it's not necessary to have
multiple virtual desktops to launch multiple gnome-terminal or konsole
windows, it helps.

If you want a lightweight DE, try Lumina. This is FreeBSD's own
nuts-and-bolts DE - mostly finished, but still works in the making. You
might like it, at least as an alternate DE. Lumina uses the term
workspace for virtual desktop, of which it supports 2 by default. If you
use Lumina, disable all login managers, put this in ~/.xinitrc :

exec /usr/local/bin/start-lumina-desktop

Then whenever you want to start Lumina, use the command startx.

It's interesting that your question mentions dual-booting and printing
problem in the subject, but there is none of that in the message body.
Since I use dual-booting myself as well as a printer, I might be able to
help with those.

It looks to me that you are essentially setting up your computer. My
advice that you should remember is that while FreeBSD is immensely
flexible, give it good hardware - a good mainboard + CPU, a Bronze/Gold
rated power supply, at least 4 GB RAM, a fastish hard disk (if you can
afford something like USD 100 for this; try a solid state disk).