Centralizing /usr/src compilation

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sun Oct 2 13:13:20 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 10:42:24 -0300
Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br> wrote:

> I hava a src master server (10.3.51.50) where I compile src and
> kernel. No CPUTYPE or compiler flags are set. On it, I issued
> make buildworld and make buildkernel that proceed with no errors.
> I shared its /usr/src and /usr/obj via nfs.
>
> Then, on a slave server, same version and arch as the master, it
> has this:

do both machines have the same CPU? As you did not specify the CPU, the
CPU in the server was used as the target. If you have different CPUs
but want to use one kernel for all, it might will work if you specify
the type of CPU with the least capabilities you have or you compile on
that machine.

Erich

> 2>Illegal instruction (core dumped) Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Illegal instruction sounds like the target CPU does not know an
instruction. Of course, this could also be caused by something else.

> even bury my idea for good as non workable?

It should work when you set the CPU type.

I also run a kernel compiled for an older Intel CPU on a newer Intel
CPU without problems. I never tried it the other way around.

Erich