Changing Syslog timestamp to UTC

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 25 17:14:59 UTC 2016

On 11/25/16 17:06, San s wrote:
> Tried exporting TZ=UTC and restarting syslogd. This shows the syslogd
> restart related messages in UTC, but not rest of the messages. They
> are still showing up as system timezone.

That's because the timestamp isn't generated by syslogd, but by the
program that logs the message.  This is what the -T option exists for --
except it only applies to system log messages received across the network.

About the only way I can suggest for solving this is to use rsyslog from
ports -- I believe that has the capability of changing the timestamp to
when it received the log messages, rather than when it was originally
generated.  Plus it uses a rather more sensible timestamp format so the
date-time is a single column in the output, and you can tell what the
timezone offset from UTC was.

	Cheers,

	Matthew