Microsoft announced it is joining The Linux Foundation?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Nov 20 21:37:24 UTC 2016

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 22:22:49 +0100, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
> A quick search didn't show me an off-topic FreeBSD mailing list.
> However, there's

> subscribing shouldn't be required, to post to this list.

There is freebsd-chat@ - "Non technical items related to the community",
maybe this one is preferred for the current kind of discussion?

> Here in Germany nobody is forced to use anything related to Microsoft.

That is not true for schools or governmental installations where
there are _strict_ requirements on what software is allowed to
be used, typically MICROS~1 products due to long-term contracts
and lobbyism. Additionally, people at work cannot refuse to use
something that they are forced to use (or they will get fired,
_that_ is the choice they have).

Choice: "Eat it or leave it." ;-)

> Computer users are free to chose what they want to use.

Home consumers are, yes. For those who need a specific software
which is available only for "Windows", or those who are already
affected by vendor lock-in (data cannot be migrated, programs
do not exist in portable code form etc.), and those who are
under strict requirements (see above) this is not true. With
upcoming hardware configurations, that ability of choice will
be harder and harder to implement (things like "Restricted Boot").

> If people still use e.g. a service provided by Microsoft, despite of all
> we know about the Microsoft and Linux conspiracy/conspiracies, this is
> another evidence for the conspiracy/conspiracies.

Leaked NSA material _proves_ the role of MICROS~1 within the
spying apparatus aimed at people. But as I said in another
message, they don't do it because of "pure evil", they do it
for the money and influence, which is the driving force within
capitalism.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany