Microsoft announced it is joining The Linux Foundation?

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Sat Nov 19 08:23:27 UTC 2016

On 19/11/2016 10:39, Frank Shute wrote:

> The guy who built WhatsApp bunged the FreeBSD Foundation a million bucks when
> he cashed out, by way of thanks.
>
> Perhaps you could remind me of how much money Microsoft have given us?

MS is OpenBSD's first gold sponsor - by donating an undisclosed sum
that was between 25,000 and 50,000 - which was "in recognition of it's
role in supporting the OpenSSH project" - this appears to be payback
for them adding ssh to their windows powershell.

For FreeBSD, MS builds and supports a distribution of FreeBSD and
contributes some code.

I guess the BSD community isn't worth the big fanfare to promote them
making a donation. More to the point is that BSD was probably a quiet
test bed to see what reaction they would get by starting to contribute
to projects in the OSS community.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler