testing SSD performance

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 18 14:54:45 UTC 2016

On 11/18/16 14:37, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:
> I was running an older FreeBSD (9.2) for quite a while now with the root
> FS (and swap) an an SSD drive (100GB).
>
> While upgrading the system to 11.0 and while observing quit elong
> buildworld times I'm wondering myself if my SSD possibly might have
> gotten degraded
>  some extent. I've read that SSD tend to run slow on writes over time,
> especially when no provisions were taken to e.g. fill them up just up to
> 2/3 of their max capacity to leave room for firmware storage management.
>

> Is there a quick tool to test overall performance (disk i/o and
> processor overall system speed)?

bonnie++ will give you some performance stats, although without a set of
measurements on a new SSD to compare, its utility is likely to be limited.

The other utility that may be of use to you is smartmontools -- this
will be able to tell you how much wear you've put on your device.
You'll want to look for 'Media Wearout Indicator' or 'Wear Levelling
Count' depending on the manufacturer.

The other reason for long buildworlds is not having a great deal of RAM.
 C-compilation is both quite memory intensive in itself, and also does a
lot of file-io, so having plenty of RAM available for filesystem caching
will help a lot.

	Cheers,

	Matthew