hastd operation, stale primary

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Wed Nov 16 14:06:22 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues,

I have read https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/disks-hast.html and
https://wiki.freebsd.org/HAST and still don't understand one thing.

I configure host1 as "hastctl role primary all" and host2 as
"hastctl role secondary all"

Then I switch off host1 and configure host2 as
"hastctl role primary all", fsck and mount /dev/hast/test, and write
files to it. So far so good.

Then I switch on host1 again, unmount /dev/hast/test on host2 and
configure it as "hastctl role secondary all" and host1 as
"hastctl role primary all" again.

When I mount /dev/hast/test on host1, I see that all the changes to my
files which have been made on host2, are gone!!

Should not hastd detect that the primary on host1 is stale and
replicate the changes from host2?

What am I doing wrong? How is host1 supposed to preempt host2 and
inherit the changes made while host2 was primary?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru