Could this be a software problem or a hardware issue ?

Patrick Hess patrick_lists at phess.net
Mon Nov 14 09:57:34 UTC 2016

On 02.11.2016 13:20, Manish Jain wrote:
> But if set the X driver to nvidia (which should be the correct
> default for my NVidia GT 710 card), I get a strange screen with 'startx'
> : mostly black with patches of colours spread across the screen.

What version of the nvidia driver are you using?

Version 367 requires the nvidia-modeset.ko kernel module to be loaded;
just loading nivida.ko won't be sufficient and can lead to the symptoms
you are describing.

Patrick

--
If you'd like to send me a private message, make sure to remove
the "_lists" part from my address.