SSD drive appears to have been "downgraded" from SATA 2 to SATA 1

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at
Fri Nov 11 13:24:44 UTC 2016

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 18:42:50 -0800
David Christensen <dpchrist at> wrote:

> On 11/10/2016 08:35 AM, Mike Clarke wrote:
> > Is there any way I can use camcontrol (or any other utility) to
> > restore this?  
> Put the drive in a Windows machine, download and install manufacturer
> diagnostic (SanDisk SSD Dashboard), and see what it offers:

I tried that yesterday. Although Windows 7 could see the drive SSD
Dashboard failed to detect it.

This morning I discovered that camcontrol probably isn't the culprit.
The next step in rebuilding my ZFS pool was to delete everything on the
second drive and re partition it to match the new layout. Instead of
using "camcontrol security" for this drive I mounted the ZFS system
on /mnt and used "rm -r" to delete all the contents then "zfs destroy
-r" to get rid of the filesystem and all the snapshots, followed by
"zpool destroy" to remove the pool. Up to this point the second drive
had been running at 300MB/s but after rebooting it came up at 150MB/s
like the other drive.

For my next step I'll delete the GPT partitioning scheme from this
empty drive and try formatting it with Windows 7 to see if that makes
it visible to SSD Dashboard.

Mike Clarke

More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list