After perl upgrade: "Can't locate XML/Parser.pm in @INC"

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 9 15:35:42 UTC 2016

On 2016/11/09 14:40, Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff wrote:
> pkg.conf(5) even says:
>
>   CONSERVATIVE_UPGRADE: boolean
>    Ensure in multi repository mode that the priority is given as much as possible to the reposi-
>    tory where a package was first installed from.  Default: YES.
>
> To me this sounds like pkg is intended to be used with multiple
> repositories.

It is possible to use multiple repositories with pkg, but that doesn't
mean you can mix any arbitrary set of repositories.  In particular, if
you mix a repository build against a current version of the ports tree
against one of the quarterly packages sets then the fact that you can
end up with different versions of the same package in each repository
does tend to have undesirable effects.

Multiple repo support works best when both repos are using essentially
the same copy of the ports tree, and you use one to provide and overlay
for certain packages with non-default options settings.  If one of your
repositories is the default quarterly package set,  then I'd recommend
checking out the appropriate SVN branch for any package sets you build
yourself.

	Cheers,

	Matthew