Old laptop not able to get enough entropy in FreeBSD 11

Jack L. xxjack12xx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 04:25:03 UTC 2016

I have an old single core AMD Turion ML-37 laptop that has nothing
installed. When I boot it up, the moment it displays login:, it hangs until
i press some random keys. At shutdown, it will hang until I press keys and
it will not move onto the next line of shutdown until I keep pressing keys.

If I cat /dev/random > ./dev/null while using the laptop, it works fine but
when nothing is happening, the laptop hangs. Any ideas? It's running
11.0-STABLE