After perl upgrade: "Can't locate XML/Parser.pm in @INC"

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff stdin at niklaas.eu
Tue Nov 8 16:00:31 UTC 2016

Frank Shute [2016-11-08 15:37 +0000] :

> I'm guessing you probably didn't see the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING
> about upgrading perl to 5.24 so you've ended up with 2 versions of Parser and
> 2 versions of perl.

In UPDATING it says:

  20161103:
    AFFECTS: users of lang/perl5*
    AUTHOR: mat at FreeBSD.org

    The default Perl version has been switched to Perl 5.24.  If you are using
    binary packages to upgrade your system, you do not have anything to do, pkg
    upgrade will do the right thing.  For the other people, assuming you are
    migrating from 5.20 to 5.24, do:

    First, add to /etc/make.conf:

    DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=  perl5=5.24

    Portupgrade users:
    portupgrade -o lang/perl5.24 -f lang/perl5.20

      You can now remove the DEFAULT_VERSIONS line added earlier
      from /etc/make.conf

      Then you will need to rebuild everything that uses libperl.so, you
      can do so with:

    portupgrade -f `pkg shlib -qR libperl.so.5.20`

    Portmaster users:
    portmaster -o lang/perl5.24 lang/perl5.20

      You can now remove the DEFAULT_VERSIONS line added earlier
      from /etc/make.conf

      Then you will need to rebuild everything that uses libperl.so, you
      can do so with:

    portmaster -f `pkg shlib -qR libperl.so.5.20`

Since I'm using binary packages, I thought I "do not have
anything to do". :-)

While I build some packages with poudriere, perl is one of those
that I get from the official repository:

  $ pkg info perl5 | grep repository

	repository     : FreeBSD

  $ pkg info perl5.24 | grep repository

	repository     : FreeBSD

So, still, I don't need to do anything, do I?

    Niklaas