Why do I get "not bootable" warning on FreeBSD 11

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:29:18 UTC 2016

Hi,

I yesterday tried FreeBSD 11 on my secondary box with an Asus A68
motherboard, BIOS American Megatrends. I booted from the install CD in a
drive marked UEFI in BIOS.

I tried manual partitioning, creating one single slice of type freebsd
(a.k.a. BSD) and in that slice, created a single partition of type
freebsd-ufs.

I first get an error notice :
cd0:atahci0:0:0: CAM Status Error : SCSI Status Error

Then soon after, I noticed that FreeBSD 11 setup gave me a warning for
the freebsd-ufs partition in a BSD slice : "this partition type is not
bootable on this architecture".

I took out the CD, and tried my FreeBSD 10.3 CD. With 10.3, I get the
SCSI Status error but not the "not bootable" warning with the setup
choices remaining the same.

I took out the 10.3 CD too, and tried 11.0 again - with the CD drive
mode changed from UEFI to SATA in BIOS. This time I get a choice for CD
image to use - Image 0 or Image 1. I chose 0. This time I get no error
or warning and the install goes through sweetly.

I am really confused with all these new technologies and terms and
options that keep popping up, adding to the level of confusion overall.
There's UEFI (which I simply take as a new version of BIOS) and there's
AHCI (which I take as a new version of SATA/IDE connection).

Can anyone explain to my layman level why do I get warning + error when
I use UEFI CD installation for FreeBSD 11 ?

Thanks for any help.
Manish Jain