Sound Problems [Noob Question]

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Nov 8 10:10:28 UTC 2016

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 10:20:24 +0100, No Spam wrote:
> On 16-11-08 09:57:43, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 09:41:22 +0100, Jens wrote:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > the solution to my problem is probably easy but i can't find it.
> > >
> > > The only sound i get from my
> > >
> > > \code
> > > # uname -a
> > >
> > > FreeBSD bsd.lan 11.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD
> > > 11.0-RELEASE-p1 #0 r306420: Thu Sep 29 01:43:23 UTC 2016
> > > root at releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> > > \endcode
> > >
> > > other then some garbled static or a feedback loop when i begin closing
> > > my notebook ( a ASUS F751M ).
> >
> > Have you checked your mixer settings? The command "mixer" provided
> > by the OS can do this. Example:
> >
> > 	% mixer
> > 	Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
> > 	Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
> > 	Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
> > 	Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
> > 	Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0
> > 	Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
> > 	Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
> > 	Mixer monitor  is currently set to   0:0
> > 	Recording source: mic
> >
> > If the system exposes more than one mixer to the OS, the -f flag
> > can be used to query and set the various mixers. See "man mixer"
> > for details.
> >

> mixer
> Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
> Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
> Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
> Mixer mix      is currently set to  74:74
> Mixer rec      is currently set to  37:37
> Mixer igain    is currently set to  81:81
> Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
> Mixer monitor  is currently set to  56:56
> Recording source: monitor

That looks correct.

> > > I tested the speaker system itself by booting a live linux and it worked
> > > out of the box, but i would like to stick with FreeBSD.
> >
> > Maybe Linux defaults to a different audio unit? Modern hardware
> > often does have more than one "sound card" (similar to mixers).
> > The sysctl "hw.snd.default_unit" can control which unit will be
> > used.
> >
>  cat /dev/sndstat
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Realtek (0x0233) (Internal Analog)> (play/rec) default
> pcm1: <Realtek (0x0233) (Left Analog Headphones)> (play)
> pcm2: <Intel (0x2882) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (pl

Good, the device has been correctly recognized, and a sound driver
has been attached.

>  sysctl hw.snd.default_unit
> hw.snd.default_unit: 0
>
> that looks right?

I'd say yes, that seems to be the default unit.

> > > I included my /etc/rc.conf and my /boot/loader.conf .
> >
> > Allow me to quote the relevant entries:
> >
> > [rc.conf  text/plain (911B)]
> >
> > 	pulseaudio_enable="YES"
> > 	#oss_enable="YES"
> >
> > Do you have the playback problem from inside a IDE, or does the
> > problem also appear when you test audio "on bare metal"? How do
> > you test audio?
> I do not understand IDE in this context.
>
> i was testing audio with differnt userland applications,
> eg firefox and now again with a root vlcp-player which generates an
> audio "artifact" ( a sound rumbling stopping version of what was the
> original sound)

Can you test something really simple like "madplay somefile.mp3"
or "play someotherfile.wav" (the "play" command is part of the
"sox" package)? Just to make sure it isn't related to any more
or less complex codec or muxer format?

> > > If you have any ideas what i can try or which configs you need, i will
> > > try to answer ASAP.
> >
> > Always check the output of the following commands:
> >
> > 	% dmesg | grep ^pcm
> > 	% cat /dev/sndstat
> >
> > Verify that the correct sound driver has successfully been loaded.
> >

> dmesg is currently not giving any pcm entrys ( because my ath card has
> filles the log)
> will reboot and send that one later

Relevant lines from other message:

pcm0: <Realtek (0x0233) (Internal Analog)> at nid 20 and 27 on hdaa0
pcm1: <Realtek (0x0233) (Left Analog Headphones)> at nid 33 on hdaa0
pcm2: <Intel (0x2882) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> at nid 4 on hdaa1

The "High Definition Audio" driver should be the right one to deal
with that hardware. See "man 4 snd_hda" for possible configuration
options.

However, you wrote that you see this problem when closing the notebook.
FreeBSD's support for suspend/resume and hibernation (whatever applies
to your specific setup when closing the lid) sometimes requires to load
an additional ACPI kernel module (like for example acpi_ibm.ko), and in
other cases, it doesn't work at all. While I've seen this kind of
operation working on Linux, the FreeBSD experience is that it often
does not work as expected.

A workaround would be _not_ to close the laptop. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany