Sound Problems [Noob Question]

Tue Nov 8 09:20:32 UTC 2016

On 16-11-08 09:57:43, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 09:41:22 +0100, Jens wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > the solution to my problem is probably easy but i can't find it.
> >
> > The only sound i get from my
> >
> > \code
> > # uname -a
> >
> > FreeBSD bsd.lan 11.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD
> > 11.0-RELEASE-p1 #0 r306420: Thu Sep 29 01:43:23 UTC 2016
> > root at releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> > \endcode
> >
> > other then some garbled static or a feedback loop when i begin closing
> > my notebook ( a ASUS F751M ).
>
> Have you checked your mixer settings? The command "mixer" provided
> by the OS can do this. Example:
>
> 	% mixer
> 	Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
> 	Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
> 	Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
> 	Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
> 	Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0
> 	Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
> 	Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
> 	Mixer monitor  is currently set to   0:0
> 	Recording source: mic
>
> If the system exposes more than one mixer to the OS, the -f flag
> can be used to query and set the various mixers. See "man mixer"
> for details.

mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
Mixer mix      is currently set to  74:74
Mixer rec      is currently set to  37:37
Mixer igain    is currently set to  81:81
Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
Mixer monitor  is currently set to  56:56
Recording source: monitor

> > I tested the speaker system itself by booting a live linux and it worked
> > out of the box, but i would like to stick with FreeBSD.
>
> Maybe Linux defaults to a different audio unit? Modern hardware
> often does have more than one "sound card" (similar to mixers).
> The sysctl "hw.snd.default_unit" can control which unit will be
> used.

 cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Realtek (0x0233) (Internal Analog)> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <Realtek (0x0233) (Left Analog Headphones)> (play)
pcm2: <Intel (0x2882) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (pl

 sysctl hw.snd.default_unit
hw.snd.default_unit: 0

that looks right?

> > I included my /etc/rc.conf and my /boot/loader.conf .
>
> Allow me to quote the relevant entries:
>
> [rc.conf  text/plain (911B)]
>
> 	pulseaudio_enable="YES"
> 	#oss_enable="YES"
>
> Do you have the playback problem from inside a IDE, or does the
> problem also appear when you test audio "on bare metal"? How do
> you test audio?
I do not understand IDE in this context.

i was testing audio with differnt userland applications,
eg firefox and now again with a root vlcp-player which generates an
audio "artifact" ( a sound rumbling stopping version of what was the
original sound)

> [loader.conf  text/plain (1.3KB)]
>
> 	#snd_hda_load="YES"
> 	#snd_driver_load="YES"
>
> It's okay to comment those entries because the GENERIC kernel
> (which you are using as per "uname -a") does already include
> the sound driver.

These are fragments of my own experimentation

> > If you have any ideas what i can try or which configs you need, i will
> > try to answer ASAP.
>
> Always check the output of the following commands:
>
> 	% dmesg | grep ^pcm
> 	% cat /dev/sndstat
>
> Verify that the correct sound driver has successfully been loaded.

dmesg is currently not giving any pcm entrys ( because my ath card has
filles the log)
will reboot and send that one later

> Also have a look at the handbook section about sound:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/sound-setup.html

Sadly it didn't help

Thanks and Greets