Files in /etc/pam.d/

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Mon Nov 7 15:58:18 UTC 2016

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 649, Issue 1, Message: 3
On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 15:53:07 +0100 Rocky Hotas <rockyhotas at post.com> wrote:
 > Hi Mattew,
 >
 > > Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2016 at 1:14 PM
 > > From: "Matthew Seaman" <matthew at FreeBSD.org>
 > > To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
 > > Subject: Re: Files in /etc/pam.d/
 > >
 > [...]
 > > The 'login' policy covers console logins, and the 'passwd' policy covers
 > > use of the passwd(1) utility for changing your password.
 > [...]
 > > services.  The effect of a statement like this:
 > >
 > > session		include		system
 > >
 > > is to substitute the 'session' likes from /etc/pam.d/system
 >
 > Thank you for your detailed explanation. So, "system" is rather a
 > container for default policies, to be called only where needed.
 > Furthermore, "include" is not one of the 5 control flags listed in
 > the documentation.

See pam.conf(5) first page.  pam(3) covers core terms, tersely.

The trouble with pam(3) is that there's so much documentation :)

% apropos pam | wc -l
      75
with no false positives, on 9.3 anyway.

% apropos pam | grep -v '(3)' | wc -l
      25
is a little more manageable, for starters.

Matthew's summary at least doubled my still vague understanding of how
works PAM.  I settle for crossed fingers and trusted nordic wizardry.

cheers, Ian