cups problems on 10.3 release both Epson and HP

Tijl Coosemans tijl at coosemans.org
Mon Nov 7 11:45:17 UTC 2016

On Sun, 6 Nov 2016 13:15:58 -0700 Gary Aitken <freebsd at dreamchaser.org> wrote:
> On 11/06/16 04:14, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>> For the HP printer there's official support in print/hplip, but the
>> generic PCL driver included with CUPS probably works too.
>
> I have also installed print/hplip and print/hplip-plugin and restarted
> cupsd.
>
> /var/log/cups/error_log contains the following when I try to print to the
> HP:
>
> HP_Officejet_Pro_8500_A909g: File \"/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip\" not available: No such file or directory
>
> That message also shows up in the cups web interface in the Status column
> for the HP printer; the Epson printer says "Idle"
>
> In /usr/local/libexec/cups/filters there is a foomatic-rip but no
> foomatic-rip-hplip.  Where is that supposed to come from?  I would have
> guessed print/hplip, but I have that installed.  Is it necessary to clean
> out everything somehow and reinstall cups and the other related ports all
> at once in order to get the correct supporting files?

The foomatic-rip-hplip command must be coming from an old ppd file.  In the
CUPS web interface on the page for the printer, what does it say in the
Driver field?  It should be something like "HP Officejet Pro 8500 a909g,
hpcups 3.16.10".  If that's not the case select "Modify Printer" in the
Administration dropdown and click through the screens until the one where
you can select the printer model.  Choose one that has "hpcups 3.16.10" in
its name.

>> For the Epson printer you'll probably need print/gutenprint-cups.
>
> I added that as well and it still hangs.

Here the Driver field should include "CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10".  If that's
not the case modify the printer and select a model that contains that
string.