time

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Mon May 30 00:09:09 UTC 2016

On 5/29/16 10:57 PM, Stari Karp wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am new Installed FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue May 17 08:43:55 UTC 2016
> root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64 and I
> have a problem with time. How I setup time (I adoing the same from version
> 6??):
> From "Select local or UTC...) I press NO, than America -- North and South,
> than United States and Eastern time. On the last question "Does the
> abbreviation 'EDT' look reasonable?" I pressed YES.

So now FreeBSD knows what time zone you want it to be in, this doesn't
mean the hardware knows what time it is.

man date

will show you how to set the time.  Or you can get ntp running and wait
until it syncs the time.

> And here is now 7:55 PM and date shows me 10:55 PM. In /etc/rc.conf I have
> also ntpd_enable="YES".

Really?  Looks like you sent your mail at 6:57pm EDT?????   As a matter
of fact, it is 7:07pm EDT as I write this.

man ntpq

and try the "peers" command in ntpq to see what ntp thinks is happening.
 Look at the ntp.conf file to see if it is sensible.

--
--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com