backup packages and ports

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 25 17:59:12 UTC 2016

On 2016/05/25 17:22, infinityux--- via freebsd-questions wrote:
> Hi all, recently I have installed Virtualbox and gimp by pkg install
> command. Is there any way backup these packages in a usb storage
> device or DVD which can be installed later without internet
> connection? One more thing to ask that can I backup my kde desktop
> environment as it takes a lot of time to download and compileRegards
> Arnab

You'll find the pkg tarballs in /var/cache/pkg -- if you copy that to
your USB drive or whatever you should be able to install them while
off-line.  pkg(8) will not be happy if it can't update the package
catalogue though, but you should be able to use 'pkg add filename.txz'
or 'pkg install -U filename.txz' to install.

	Cheers,

	Matthew