Matroska video format

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Mon May 23 15:22:37 UTC 2016

Polytropon writes:

> On Sun, 22 May 2016 20:42:41 -0400, Baho Utot wrote:
>> I would like to play a Matroskavisoe using vlc, Is this possible?
>>
>> It starts to play but the picture goes in and out of grey
>
> What is "it"? Which player (standalone program or embedded in web
> browser as a plugin) are you using?
>
> I've installed mplayer which plays video and audio in MKV format
> just fine. Maybe you are missing a codec that is required (because
> MKV basically is a containter format, like AVI, with video and
> audio and maybe other data in a specific codec)...

Baho, you say "*a* Matroska [video] using [VLC]." If you've only tried
one Matroska video in one player, there's no way to know which is the
source of the problem.

Matroska is a truly free and open container format that's been around
for over a decade now, and I've played *.MKV files in MPV, Parole (the
Xfce media player), and Kodi/Plex Home Theater without having to take
any extra steps. I haven't used VLC in a long time, but it's claim to
fame is that it supports almost every format under the sun out of the
box. So I would bet it's just a poorly encoded video, not a problem with
VLC.

--

::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'