unbound setup question

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Mon May 16 17:00:02 UTC 2016

We use Verizon FIOS. The default setup for some reason does not lookup the
domain we use for our LAN. I did a default unbound install and got a setup that
had resolv.conf=192.168.2.1 (the Verizon router) and unbound interface=0.0.0.0.

>From monitoring port 53 traffic and the fact that my LAN issue was still there
this install changed nothing. After lots of reading I came up with
conf=127.0.0.1 and defined two Verizon name servers with the forward-addr
attribute. This works perfectly.

Every thing I read implied that unbound would set up resolv.conf automatically
and nothing suggested my setup. So what did I do wrong in setup, and is there
something wrong with my setup that I just have not hit yet?