FreeBSD-10.3 root ZFS

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Fri May 13 19:11:43 UTC 2016

James B. Byrne writes:

> I am going through an initial install using the automatic guided root
> on zfs procedure.  I have selected the 2 redundant disks raid option.
> I am at the point where I assign the disks to the zpool.  I have 8
> disks listed. These have the dev ids: ada0-ada3 and da0-da3.  The
> descriptions of the four adaX devs all begin with 'WDC WD30EFRX-...' .
> The descriptions of the four daX devs all begin with 'ATA WDC
> WD30EFRX-...'.
>
> What is the significance of this, if any?

"WD30EFRX" is the model number of disks, as reported to the system by
the disk firmware. What follows is the individual serial number.

Since they're all the same make and model, I'd strongly recommend
restarting the install process with Ctrl+c, and choosing "Shell" from
the menu. At the shell prompt, use `gpart show` to get a list of
attached disks and their partitions, and note the drive letters of the
two empty disks (daX and daY) you want to use. Then you can type "exit"
and proceed with the installation.

--

::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'