FreeBSD-10.3 root ZFS redux

Graham Allan allan at physics.umn.edu
Wed May 11 18:53:34 UTC 2016

On 5/11/2016 1:13 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:

> I managed to get this reversed in my head as I composed.  The question
> is what happens when a nominally 3TB HDD is put in that has fewer
> accessible sectors than a similar 3TB drive already present?

My understanding is that it would just be rejected (I see some older
solaris examples mention a "device too small" error).

Best practice is probably to create a gpt partition of some standard
size on the drives before adding that to the pool, to give a little
adjustment room, though I confess I have made all my pools to date using
the raw drives (other than a geom label); and simply try to replace
drives with the same model.

Graham