pkg delete dilema

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Tue May 10 17:44:52 UTC 2016

Hi;

I've been looking through pkg documentation but I can't find what I need.

I want to upgrade cups port but many of cups related ports went through a
lot of changes and after a svn up, many of them disappeared.

So when I try to install the new cups port, I get this:

Installing cups-2.1.3_2...
pkg-static: cups-2.1.3_2 conflicts with cups-client-2.0.3_2 (installs files
into the same place).  Problematic file: /usr/local/bin/cups-config
*** Error code 70

The problem is that there is no cups-client port anymore, so I can't cd to
it and make deinstall.

Ok so I resort to pkg. But when I try it, I get this:

pkg delete cups-client
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Deinstallation has been requested for the following 114 packages (of 0
packages in the universe):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
        cups-client-2.0.3_2
        freerdp-1.2.0_5
        cups-filters-1.0.71
        cups-image-2.0.3_2
        gtk2-2.24.27

I simply do not want to remove all those installed ports for two reasons.
One it will a long time to recompile all of the 144 that will be removed.
And two, I know that cups-client was merged into cups, so whatever it
installed will get installed over by the cups port, and all ports dependent
on it will keep their functionality.

So, is there a way to tell pkg just to delete the package WITHOUT deleting
the dependent ports? If not, is there a way for me to remove just the
cups-client port? Or just force cups to get installed (make
FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=yes install issues the same problem as plain make above)?

Thanks,

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br