file receives no input after turn over by newsyslog(8)

Cary cary at SDF.ORG
Mon May 9 22:27:10 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Perhaps someone might be able to help.
The /var/log/httpd-access.log file is turned over at least
once a week on a VPS running 10.2-Stable.

/var/log/httpd-*.log                    644  10    500  *     GX

 is the line I have in /etc/newsyslog.conf.

After the file is turned over no messages are saved from the apache24
daemon.  There is just a line from newsyslog(8) with the date, hostname
process number and a message that the file was turned over.

After restarting httpd(8) all messages are logged again.
Other httpd-* log files are do not fill up as quickly, but are
probably affected as well.  How can I keep getting logs from
the server without a service restart?

cary at sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org