Is 10.3 i386 jinxed ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun May 1 05:16:05 UTC 2016

On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 14:46:09 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2016, Manish Jain wrote:
>
> > 2) The first time X started, xfce4-panel crashed
> > 3) The second time, xfce-terminal crashed
> > 4) The third time, trying to launch firefox rebooted the system.
>
> This sounds unlike my experience with xfce.
>
> Some of the Gateway NE56R models included Nvidia GPUs.  Some special
> thing might be needed to properly support that GPU.

This might be at least a part of the occuring problems. I have tried
the "nv" and "nouveau" drivers with my nVidia GPU, but the best results
are from the (proprietary) "nvidia" driver which consists of a kernel
module and the X component. Maybe it helps checking the actual hardware
(GPU model number) and verify which driver will support it. However,
using the VESA driver should be sufficient for typical desktop use
(no "big 3D stuff").

Checking the other possible hardware-related problems should still be
on the to-do list. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany