FreeBSD ZFS snapshots and "previous versions"

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 21:59:19 UTC 2016

Dennis Steinkamp writes:

> Hi,
>
> exactly, this is what i wanted to do.
> Thank you (all) very much for your help. :)
> Regards
>
> Dennis
>
> Am 30.03.2016 um 11:31 schrieb Gabor Radnai:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I understand correctly OP wants to use Windows feature called 'Previous
>> Version' off from BSD filer.
>> This can be done on FreeBSD + Samba4 adding followings to smb4.conf:
>>
>>          vfs objects = shadow_copy2
>>          shadow:format       = %Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S--1h
>>          shadow:sort         = desc
>>          shadow:mountpoint   = <path-to-share>
>>          shadow:snapdir      = .zfs/snapshot
>>          shadow:localtime    = yes
>>
>> format is customizable and zfs snapshot should be aligned accordingly
>> obviously.
>>
>> Hope it helps.

Ah, I see. I jumped to the conclusion you wanted a web interface because
I thought you wanted to allow users to directly control ZFS filesystems,
which isn't possible through Windows. I didn't even know "shadow copy"
was a thing.

--

::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'