Recommended laptop for FreeBSD 10.2 Xfce workstation?

Felix Friedlander felixphew0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 06:57:35 UTC 2016

> On 30 Mar 2016, at 15:42, David Christensen <dpchrist at holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>
>> Other than this, FreeBSD has played fairly OK with most laptop hardware I’ve tried.
>
> FreeBSD 10.2?  What makes and models of laptops?  Did it work OOTB, or did you need to mess with it?

My main experience has been with a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro, running 10.0 and 10.1 (at first) and then 11-CURRENT when I attempted some driver development. Everything worked out of the box except Wi-Fi, which I eventually managed to get working with an ndis driver, but 10.1 broke that so I switched to using an external dongle.

I have tried it on 2 other machines, but I can’t remember the specifics. One was perfect OOTB, and the other needed to use BIOS instead of UEFI (because of those issues I was talking about) but was otherwise fine. These were both with 10.1.

--
Felix Friedlander <felixphew0 at gmail.com>