Anti-virus for FreeBSD

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 24 17:09:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, March 24, 2016 9:31 am, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> On 03/24/2016 09:25 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> that we scan for viruses attacking something else not on MS products?
>> Are
>> there any? ;-)
>
> Yes - for MacOS at least.

Could you give some links to information about MacOS viruses? I am really
curious. The only thing I can find on the web are some trojans (like
Flashback) installed into user's web browser settings. These do not
constitute viruses in my book, as they do not lead to system level
compromise, they are just something installed into particular user's space
with consent of that particular user. The only other thing I remember was
when Apple failed to include into updates long released java vulnerability
fix... compromise through which doesn't constitute successful virus attack
in my book as well.

Thanks in advance for information!

Valeri

> FWIW, my preferred arrangements is a configuration of:
>
>     MailScanner
>     spamassassin
>     clamav
>     milter-greylist
>
> However, I have discovered that clamav likes a LOT of machine resources
> and
> will basically stall a very small machine like, say, a VPS server.  I
> know,
> I know, "you don't run mail on small VPS servers" ... except when you do
> ;)
>
> --

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator