questions re: upgrading current and jail package management

jaredm at openmailbox.org jaredm at openmailbox.org
Sun Mar 20 00:54:03 UTC 2016

> All,
> I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with.
> I'm running FreeBSD 11 using IOCage for jails. Thus far, I have a
> couple questions here:
> 1) When I portsnap fetch extract in a jail, I get a message telling me
> that /usr/ports is not writable. When I touch a file in /usr/ports I'm
> told it's a read-only filesystem, but mount only shows the root
> directory being mounted. Is this typical? if so, how should ports be
> installed?
> I read that you should not build ports in a jail, but a few of the
> jails I am using have different port builds from the pkg defaults. I
> need to build them individually. Is there a better way to do this?
> 2) I seen some information about setting a property on IOCage that
> allows zfs datasets to be mounted into the jail. There is already a
> dataset being used though; is there a way to mount multiples? To
> provide some context, I want to run Samba from within a jail. I wish
> to nullfs-mount the /storage/media into the jail to enable Samba to
> access it.
> 3) I am running FreeBSD-11. Is there a good way to update short of
> rebuilding everything? I don't mind doing that, but it's somewhat time
> consuming. Also mergemaster has a bad habbit of breaking my
> /etc/passwd files, etc.
> Thanks,
> - --
> Take care,
> Ty
> Twitter: @sorressean
> Web: https://tysdomain.com
> Pubkey: https://tysdomain.com/files/pubkey.asc

Ty,

I brought the question to Twitter and the response from the official
iocage Twitter account (@iocage) was "The question of using portsnap
in an iocage jail would be better directed at the iocage mailing list.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/iocage :)"

Hope you can find the answer there!

Best regards,

Jared M. (@JMBSD)