Getting wireless network up and running

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 06:14:14 UTC 2016

> You also need to load the firmware using the ports/net/bwn-firmware-kmod
> port
> *before* calling ifconfig. See the manual page bwn(4). (Type ‘man 4 bwn’
> in a
> terminal or on the console to view the manual page.)

Just to ensure we are clear, installing the firmware and loading the kernel
module are 2 separate steps.

1. Install the package bwn-firmware-kmod, or install it from ports
(net/bwn-firmware-kmod).

2. Load the firmware module into the kernel.
# kldload bwn_v4_ucode

To ensure this is loaded during next book, add the following line to
/boot/loader.conf:
bwn_v4_ucode_load="YES"

You should be able to see that the kernel module has loaded using the
kldstat command.

Once you have done this, and have the correct /etc/rc.conf and
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf configuration as previously recommended, it should
work.

Note that if it doesn't work, you could try instead loading the low power
kernel module instead of the one above:
# kldunload bwn_v4_ucode
# kldload bwn_v4_lp_ucode

To use the LP module after the next reboot, change the line in
/boot/loader.conf to:
bwn_v4_lp_ucode_load="YES"

Good luck,
Ben