dhcpd, iscsi and a raspberry pi

Matt Mullins mokomull at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 23:56:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Guy Harrison <gfh at swampdog.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 March 2016 22:41:10 Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> writes:
> > > I thought dhcpd would use MAC address if the client didn't provide
> > > anything else. I'll check if I get a chance.
> >
> > Confirmed. My dual-boot machine has no special settings in the server's
> > dhcp.conf, and gets the same address regardless of which OS it's using.
> > It even offers a different hostname on each OS.
>
> Cheers. It's beginning to look like it's the lack of client information from
> the first (initrd *.53) dhcp request that may be the cause. If that's the
> case then I can rule out..
>
> ..and go figure out what how..
>
> uid "\001\270'\353\0172d";

uid is the cause.  DUID was added to dhcpv4 in RFC 4361, and a dhcpd
that understands the option will treat different DUIDs as separate
devices even if they have the same MAC address.

You might want to remove "send dhcp-client-identifier = hardware;"
from your /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf (or equivalent) on your Raspberry
Pi.