dhcpd, iscsi and a raspberry pi

Guy Harrison gfh at swampdog.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 21:32:38 UTC 2016

Hi John,

On Tuesday 15 March 2016 19:46:26 John Howie wrote:
> Hi Guy,
>
> When the Raspberry Pi boots it will use DHCP several times. The first is
> in UBOOT, and twice when the kernel boots (based on my own observations,
> and configuration). Using Windows Server DHCP Server, I was able to use
> the MAC address to guarantee that the Pi got the same IP address each
> time. Your mileage with ISC-DHCPD may vary. I am no expert with that DHCP
> server so can offer no advice on how to make it work in a similar fashion
> to Windows Server.

I can achieve a similar result to yourself by editing dhcpd.conf to insert
the MAC..

host pi05	{
	hardware ethernet	b8:27:eb:0f:32:64;
	fixed-address		pi05.swampdog;
}

..and inserting A/PTR forward and reverse records for 'named' so at least
that prevents the dual IP allocation.

There's always a catch: the background on this is I can't have the pi
hostname tried to the hardware - it needs to follow the sdcard around
iyswim.

I guess the question now is - how can I achieve the same result but without
needing the above in dhcpd.conf?

TIA
Guy

Arthur Chance" <owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org on behalf of